Wednesday 6 June 2012

Thoughts on the Queens Diamond Jubilee

As I usually say there's a purpose however  hard to spot at the start behind my use of images as strangely enough I do think carefully about which to select.

As I'd hope all of us in the Commonwealth would know, we're marking the Diamond Jubilee of Her Majesty's reign, an uninterrupted 60 years of public service to us, her subjects these last four days.

These things to me are a link not just the chronological past of my life but also to my sense of being a little as I was brought up with in this system, following all the tours of the Queen, making scrapbooks up, watching the various Royal weddings, waving our nations flag and even being introduced to various royals myself from an early age. 

It's something I'm very comfortable with and as you can see in this picture, these children in the UK are too having waited literally hours to see the Queen. 

If you've ever had the pleasure to talk with her one thing you'll know is she takes great interest in where she goes as for that matter do other members of the royal family. 

I spent must of been ten minutes talking to one Princess about the life cycle of snails in my early teens! 

As Paul McCartney remarked yesterday, they're good people at heart AND do have a sense of humour.

So it's no surprise I've been glued to the tv, making a small digital scrape album of anniversary images I like and enjoying some colouring


One of the memorable events of the Diamond Jubilee was the Thames pageant on Sunday 9th which, notwithstanding the awful weather, continues pretty much to plan bar the air flypast and here's one image I like from it for anyone that missed the tv and newspaper coverage.

I quite like boats having sailed in my youth and this was a great colourful spectacular two years in the planning showing the man powered boats making their way down the Thames.

No comments: