Wednesday 25 July 2018

The Dandy Summer Special 2018

It's summer and like it did when I was originally ten, age dysphoric me goes away for a boys holiday free from anything grown up and like those days, I also will be taking something with me which back then I bought in the local newsagents with some sweets.

Unfortunately this is 2018, not 2008 or even 1978 so rather than calling in my local newsagent who'd also stock cherryaid to go with the dandelion and burdock, I had to order my dandy comic Summer Special online to be delivered to the door.
One difference between the Beano Summer Activity Special and the Dandy's is the Dandy as a comic no longer in weekly production, is more a retro summer special with reprints from previous ones from the 60's, 70's and 80's rather having a few new token cartoon strips drawn so it acts more as a compilation of past issues and in some ways pulls me more into that ten year old boy I was then reading Korky the Kat and Beryl the Peril and life in that era.

It's like stepping into the past and reading the same cartoon strips as is.
In general the printing quality was better than those I recall during the 1970's being not just more colourful but sharper

No comments: