Wednesday 7 January 2009

What came first?

When people talk about what being a feminine boy is about there is a danger to leap towards the presumption it was more nurture as in influences at home, parental attitudes rather than nature.

For instance I had comics and books that were little different from that of boys of that era not least things were so binary back then that metaphorically they checked over your body and just gave you "boys stuff".

When it came to comics The only ones that were bought for me included Warlord which as a war based comic was a stereotypically masculine as you could get, The Beano, Sparky and the Dandy which were mixed gender.

I could and did borrow Tiger, Valiant and Roy of the Rovers from friends.

This said, as I got older I did read the more popular girls fiction series such as The Chalet Girls, Malory Towers, St Clare's and The Naughtiest Girls and "borrow" the odd girls comic just because they appealed to me.

That was the thing, they didn't make me, I found they made me happy in a way that didn't have me thinking I was a girl but more I shared feminine feelings.

No comments: