Tuesday 11 December 2012

Falling between two stools

We mentioned a bit about gender identity earlier on and actually that has a big part to do with the history of this blog which is some people misunderstood me taking me into whole areas that really were not.

There was not a question in my own mind that biologically I was male and I didn't beyond natural curiosity really go around thinking that in some way actually I was a girl but the thing was I had feminine interests and feelings.

Back in the nineteen seventies and eighties that was a massive issue because while I was happy to be "one of the boys" what was in that boy was wider and I couldn't openly be me in an era when boys were ridiculed and assaulted for being like me by other boys if not humiliated by macho male teachers. 

I wanted to play some of the playground games girls did but that wasn't allowed, You liked some girls toys but you'd never be allowed to play with their friends and your mates would make your life hell if they had an inclining you did.

It was bigger than that even.

I did like to wear sometimes skirts and dresses, not because I wanted to be a girl or later on transition to be a adult female becoming for all intents and purposes but just because I felt comfortable dressed that way although I didn't mind wearing shorts.

Long trousers were and remain a hatred of mine.

It was all just a mess.

No comments: