Saturday 17 April 2010

Reflections on Grandad

Moving on from my Birthday, one of big influences on me was my Grandad on Daddy's side of the family.

He was very much into gardening, following people like Percy Thrower, who like us came from the Midlands, in his case Shropshire who presented for many years the BBC's gardening show on tv and also had a lot to do with the Blue Peter garden on that show that I adored as a boy back then.

Although his house was fairly modest, he used every inch of space to make for himself a lovely garden with roses, border plants and the like that he could sit in the summer with us, enjoying a cup of tea and where we could play on the swing if he didn't take us to the park.

He introduced me to potting plants and growing things for myself.

It's why I miss him after these years.

No comments: