Wednesday 20 October 2010

Signs

Everything has a beginning and in that age old nurture vs nature debate while exposure to stimulation beings traits out for me it's nature ultimately because it only brings out what was within you in the first instance.

Most accounts presume an awful lot but people are more complex like for instance I am autistic which has a major impact on how I see things and read social signals of which those around gender codes when you are growing up do take on a big role.

I don't see the pink or blue traffic light signs when you look at play and the toys that may feature in it even if some advertisers may of turned the colour settings way up high.

There isn't a "for me" setting.

 
Autistic boys and girls like me don't relate to others the same and find it hard to really get started on playing because we struggle with the social rules so the fact I may be wanting to play with dolls may not of been picked up and that some child most likely a girl would have to teach me how to play with them and with other children playing with theirs in a game or adventure.

This kind of scene was not untypical back then with all the humiliation some of us faced for just being different. 

I loved rope jump back then skipping loads.

It wasn't that I didn't play with boys nor that I didn't see myself as in hindsight more girlish but it was I wanted to play with games that back the only the girls did too as that was a part of me.

No comments: