Saturday 14 July 2012

Berlioz: Symphonie Fantastique

Berlioz was a composer I got into fairly early in and recently I bought this cd re-issue of a recording  I am familiar with.


That lp jacket below is familiar to me because I bought the record used before the mania for vintage classical records really took off and many believed newer recordings were automatically better.

That was not what I felt about this performance that doesn't lose its romantic core by not overdoing the orchestral forces but having enough 'pep' in the March To The Scaffold to take us to the dark outcome of this story.

I bought in 2011 the Seraphim cd of this coupled with other conductors accounts of works by Berlioz but this cd, actually a super audio cd  that can be played on a regular player rightly adds the conductors account of  Ravel's La Valse with the Philharmonia and Berlioz's Le Carnival romaine with the O N R F instead .

This disc was issued in 2015 by Tower Records in Japan in conjunction with Warner Japan who have the rights to the EMI classical catalogue.

It is packaged in a lovely thick card digipak with a booklet with an illustration of the original mono lp jacket - the one on front is the stereo version I had - and the OBI strip.

I have on regular cd the EMI Studio disc of Berlioz Overtures by André Cluytens and the Colin Davis recording with the Philharmonia Orchestra of Harold In Italy from 1963.

No comments: