Wednesday 7 April 2021

Scouting onwards

That was always one the things about being me, the first Age Dysphoric signs were the trying on of my youngest siblings Cub uniform after he'd left it and unlike most others hadn't transferred to Scouts (aka Boy Scouts) at around ten and a half when I was around fifteen and sixteen going on ten.

It was stashed away bits in draw and the shirt in the deepest recesses of  a joint wardrobe that whenever I could I'd wear as at that time it wasn't much bigger than a well built twelve year old if that.

I felt happier being something I'd of rather had been being my real developmental age than the teenager I wasn't in any other way except age still stuck in 74/75.




Had I of been invested back in '72 into Brownies I'd of transferred to Girl Guides although you could say mentally I'd of been the youngest guide in the pack probably looking more like this which I do really like the look of.

Self development and mental discipline were things I needed and were looking for at the time as I struggled with motivating myself and being organized apart from needing to create a good circle of friends and learn new skills.

Imagine a twelve or thirteen year old Tammy at camp, having to share with others, take turns doing various chores, mastering new skills learning more about hurself?

That would of been brilliant! 

The outdoor life was one I enjoyed even if chunks were not lived through the Scout Association during that era by through boarding school activities and the odd weekend hike.

It was no accident that scouting became the big thing during the Coronavirus pandemic keeping me on the straight and narrow, helping my mental health because it met my needs for adventure, learning new things and developing self discipline


No comments: