Wednesday 8 July 2009

Dateline June 1986: My first CD Player and Disc

Yeah, I know that titles a bit Fischer-Price but actually this player a Toshiba XR-J9 'transportable' mains only machine actually was the first I had back in June of 1986.
You pressed the open button to place the discs on a platter and lowered the lid down causing a puck to grip the disc.
It originally had captive leads for the line out which was one volt peak rather than usual two of bigger players. 
The 3.5cm headphone socket is on the front panel with a volume control.

To go with that Toshiba player I got this - the very first compact disc I ever bought - from Our Price (RIP).

It's the PolyGram pressed version with on barcode on the rear and came in a smooth sided patent pendings case.

The second disc was a UK Nimbus pressed Pet Shop Boys, Please their current album bought from John Menzies in Newcastle Under Lyme.

No comments: