Wednesday 10 February 2010

Jinty

When we talk about the past such as we did last month inevitably it is whole past we are considering and not just one aspect which was  something I recall discussing with a careworker as a boy at the time. 


The world of the Children was very much divided into things for girls and things for boys and that took in comics beyond the humour comics such as The Dandy and Beano so the likelihood of seeing a girls comic for me was slim.

Generally the only boy who may was one who had a sister or two and even then he'd need to careful that wasn't to become knowledge with his mates which wasn't much use  to me as much as I'd of willing traded my younger brother in for one.

Jinty in nineteen seventy nine might well of been one I'd of loved given the front cover of this edition given a choice with mystery and intrigue in the comic strips.


Society was starting to change, heck we had the first Woman Prime Minister that year which I even had afternoon tea with so Jinty had a sports section in much the way Tiger had been sports centred so it had become a "got it all" girls comic.

And it still had a place for dolls.

It is sad comics of such quality are no more being replaced by celebrity culture magazines, teen fashion and the stories Jinty would of published left to the Comic Books or important Manga. 

No comments: