Wednesday 13 January 2021

Play


 I've never understood it, but at some point in their lives most people exchange the word playing for hanging out, or something similar. If they are doing an activity that is usually called playing when you're chronologically a child e.g. drawing, putting together a puzzle, or looking at dolls/action figures, they'll say that instead of the word. Why?

Why is playing a thing that only children do? Animals such as dogs and cats play throughout their lives and nothing is wrong with it, so why are we humans restricted from it? Why can't I say "I was playing in my room" without it being taken as weird or dirty?

What's even more absurd is that I actually came across an article talking about adult versions of playing e.g. replacing crayons with fancy paint and play doe with a sculpting class. Like, excuse me? Why should I have to adultify my play, even going so far as to call it something other than playing? 

I just don't get it! Why does society want us to stop playing? I have a feeling if grownups were allowed the privilege of playing the same as as us kids, they would be a lot less grumpy.

I go out at mid morning and lunch time because I need a "playtime" where I can do anything from running around, going on a swing to imaginary play pretending to be a secret agent on the run.

There's no need to coat it in adult contexts like "team building" because it's just people you share space with playing whither you are in an office or at school.

I just call it for what it is: Playing.

No comments: