Wednesday 27 July 2016

Junior Choice, childhood favourites

Normally when we've written up a music entry the emphasis has been rather more on music that was aimed at at least a teen or adult audience but for me music wasn't just about that it was the songs played on shows like Junior Choice and Children's favourites at weekends between suitably child-centred banter with the presenter such as Ed "Stewpot" Stewart on Radio One and songs that either were very much imitative in language or in reality comedy records we laughed our heads off.

In the early 1990's EMI compiled a number of them onto cd, there having been record versions before that featured such classics as Nellie The Elephant, The Teddy Bears Picnic, I taut, I Taut a Puddy Cat and Benny Hills Ernie that had been a number one single when I was a young child.


A second volume came out taking in The Owl and the Pussy cat, Tubby The Tuba, The Ugly Duckling, a version by Radio DJ Mike Reid was a hit in 1975 and that old favourite I Know an Old lady

These songs do something very different to me and that is they take me back into the mindset of that eternal Ten Year old gurl who loved that weekend show, with entertainment that kept me going no matter how ill I was. 

That's why I have these discs and love playing them

No comments: